Getting Your Bearings
Markham is a city north of Toronto, in the York Region Area of the province. It is a great place to work, live, and play. I spend so much of my time here, whether it be marrying couples or teaching students. The people here are super friendly and welcoming, even if they do not speak English!
With all of the modern construction going up, hard to believe that this used to be all farmland. Strongly developed as a bedroom community, Markham is getting all of the trappings of a modern city, including (but not limited to) a university, urban core, and cafe culture. For many people, just as yours truly, I much prefer a night out in Markham, without having to trek on downtown to have a little fun. Even if Markham did get an NHL team, which some have proposed, I would still head down south to the Scotiabank Arena to catch our heroes in blue!
Like Richmond (BC), Markham is majority Asian-descent, with the lion’s share hailing from Mainland China. There are other established communities, namely British, Jewish, and other Europeans groups. While some signs are offered only in Chinese, most have signage in English, allowing anyone to patronize their restaurants, stores, and supermarkets. The people here are welcoming to outsiders, with no hate crimes reported recently, against anyone (in fact). You can feel free to walk around anytime at night, regardless of your age or gender.
Markham has a whole host of hotels to choose from, ranging from budget all the way to luxurious and beyond. You might be familiar with the hotel below. It has been in many movies, having been built roughly 30 years ago. Despite its age, it still looks modern and super cool.
- Park Inn by Radisson Toronto-Markham – 3-star hotel- 555 Cochrane Dr, Markham, ON L3R 8E3
- Monte Carlo Inn – Toronto Markham – 3-star hotel – 8900 Woodbine Ave, Markham, ON L3R 5K6
- Edward Hotel Markham – Set 4 km from Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport, this casual hotel is 5 km from Toogood Park and 10 km from David Dunlap Observatory. –50 E Valhalla Dr, Markham, ON L3R 0A3
- Liberty Suites Hotel – Set in a suburban office park, this all-suite hotel in a modern high-rise building is 4.4 km from the Toronto Centre for the Arts and 13 km from Edwards Gardens.- 7191 Yonge St #1201, Thornhill, ON L3T 0C7
Shopping around downtown. Markham (Warden and 407)
- Liberty Square – 3601 Hwy 7, Markham, ON L3R 0M3
- First Markham Place – Asian-inspired retail centre with a food court serving Shanghainese dumplings, Korean BBQ & more. 3255 Hwy 7, Markham, ON L3R 3P9
- SmartCentres Markham Woodside – Standard big-box shopping center with a grocery store, office supplies, home goods & casual dining. 3075 Hwy 7, Markham, ON L3R 5Y5
- Woodside Power Centre – 3155 Hwy 7, Markham, ON L3R 0T9
- King Square Shopping Centre – Asian mall on 340,000 sq. ft. & 3 levels, with a supermarket, underground parking & office space.- 9390 Woodbine Ave, Markham, ON L6C 0M5
- Foot Locker – Retail chain with brand-name athletic shoes, clothing & related accessories for men, women & kids. DOWNTOWN MARKHAM, 179 Enterprise Blvd, Markham, ON L6G 1B3
Churches in Markham
- Hope Bible Church Markham – 8176 McCowan Rd, Markham, ON L3P 3J3
- Cornerstone Church Markham – Christian church- 9680 Ninth Line, Markham, ON L6B 1A8
- St Patrick Church Markham – Catholic church –5633 Hwy 7, Markham, ON L3P 1B6
- Markham Peoples Community Church – 22 Esna Park Dr, Markham, ON L3R 1E1
- Grace Chapel Markham – Christian church –180 Amber St, Markham, ON L3R 3J8
Markham Fair Grounds
Markham Events and Festivals
- CANADA DAY – July 1st of every year.
- Chinese Lunar New Year
- Upcoming Local Events
- SANTA CLAUS PARADE – Late November of each year.
- Markham Village Music Festival – Downtown Unionville